Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 09:56, Chris Liddell wrote:
> This is Unix, for heaven's sake, how can a terminal window *not* be
> available right there, "front and centre"?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+unity+terminal

Basically "ctrl+alt+T" (same as it has been on Ubuntu for some while).
Or press the Ubuntu button and start typing "terminal". I find
"Terminal" pops up when I get as far as typing the "t".

> I very much feel there is a trend in interface design to favour the
> new/occasional user, even when it will inconvenience the experienced
> "power user". In truth I have no problem with interfaces being made
> easier to drive for the less experienced user, but why does it have to
> get in the way of me (as an experienced user) going about things they
> way I want to?

They don't, you just didn't know how to do the thing you wanted to.
Throwing the whole desktop out because you couldn't find a terminal
isn't necessarily the desktops fault.

> I wonder if we'll see an upsurge in "power users" using plain old window
> managers, instead of the full "desktop experience" GUIs....

We already have. Hence the creation of GNOME Fallback mode, Cinnamon and
Mate.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope