Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Leszek Kobiernicki 1
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 10:48, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 1 July 2012 09:56, Chris Liddell <cjl@???> wrote:
>> A bit late to this discussion, but never mind.....
>>
>> I gave up on Unity *very* quickly..... it took me a good (bad!) fifteen
>> minutes to find how to get a terminal window up, and I concluded it was
>> not for me, at all - I switched to Xfce for now. I may go back to Debian
>> next time I have to setup a machine.
>>
>> This is Unix, for heaven's sake, how can a terminal window *not* be
>> available right there, "front and centre"?
> For me, the terminal is:
> Press "Windows Key", then press "t", then press "ENTER"
> Far easier than moving the mouse around a bit and clicking.
> I can also drag and drop it off the Dash menus if I wish to click mouses on it.
>
> I agree, Unity has taken me a bit of getting used to, but most people
> are happy with the search approach. I don't think I can "go back" to
> the clunky Gnome or xfce desktops now. Once you get used to it, it
> does provide quicker (fewer clicks, key presses) access to what you
> want to do.
> In fact, the "Start" button is maybe disappearing for window 8, so
> Ubuntu are not the only people who think application menus are on the
> way out.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

Nope

Doesn't matter what the software engineers think ( or want us to think )

What matters, is combining familiarity with ease-of-use, making usage
transparent

Windows is no guide to *nix usage: the work we hafta get out, is the
proper guide - the software's job is enable that to happen

I simply can't recommend a desktop to new users, imposing such
additional amounts of invested energy, before the workflows come rolling
on out

Devs, please think again ! Restore user primacy.

Lesz
--
" The power of this life, if men will open their hearts to it, will heal
them, will create them anew, physically and spiritually. Here is the
gospel of earth, ringing with hope, like May mornings with bird-song,
fresh and healthy as fields of young grain. But those who would be
healed must absorb it not only into their bodies in daily food and
warmth but into their minds, because its spiritual power is more
intense. It is not reasonable to suppose that an essence so divine and
mysterious as life can be confined to material things; therefore, if our
bodies need to be in touch with it so do our minds. The joy of a spring
day revives a man's spirit, reacting healthily on the bone and the
blood, just as the wholesome juices of plants cleanse the body, reacting
on the mind. Let us join in the abundant sacrament--for our bodies the
crushed gold of harvest and ripe vine-clusters, for our souls the purple
fruit of evening with its innumerable seed of stars ". Vis Medicatrix
Naturae, by Mary Webb, in Spring of Joy: Nature Essays, Constable,
London, 1917 "