Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Chris Liddell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 10:18, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 01/07/12 09:56, Chris Liddell wrote:
>> This is Unix, for heaven's sake, how can a terminal window *not* be
>> available right there, "front and centre"?
>>

> https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+unity+terminal
>
> Basically "ctrl+alt+T" (same as it has been on Ubuntu for some while).
> Or press the Ubuntu button and start typing "terminal". I find
> "Terminal" pops up when I get as far as typing the "t".

Like I said, I got there - didn't like it....

>> I very much feel there is a trend in interface design to favour the
>> new/occasional user, even when it will inconvenience the experienced
>> "power user". In truth I have no problem with interfaces being made
>> easier to drive for the less experienced user, but why does it have to
>> get in the way of me (as an experienced user) going about things they
>> way I want to?
>>

> They don't, you just didn't know how to do the thing you wanted to.
> Throwing the whole desktop out because you couldn't find a terminal
> isn't necessarily the desktops fault.

So, clearly I'm wrong. I've always wanted to work the way Unity works, I
just didn't realise it......

Are you channelling the ghost of Steve Jobs? "There's our way, and
there's the wrong way" is not an attitude I ever expected to find so
openly espoused in the Unix world, and especially not in the Linux world.

>> I wonder if we'll see an upsurge in "power users" using plain old window
>> managers, instead of the full "desktop experience" GUIs....
>>

> We already have. Hence the creation of GNOME Fallback mode, Cinnamon and
> Mate.

Those are all full desktop packages - I meant really, just a window
manager...

Chris