Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x

> My main point, though, was about have ways of working imposed on me,
> rather than me having control over them.....

And I am right with you on that.

Luckily for me, the code I use is FOSS, so I do have the right to port the
old Gnome2 desktop to my current OS. But I am very much in the minority in
terms of having the capability[1] to do that; most users[2] are stuck with
the choice of an obsolete OS or a desktop they don't like. This is not a
good situation if we want people to switch to Linux.

Vic.

[1] ...even if I don't actually get it together to finish the job. My
machine is so usable, I've not bothered to get the few remaining bits
sorted out :-)

[2] I've tried quite a few of my users[3] with this comparison. I've put
two laptops in front of them, and told them that the machines are running
*slightly* different OSes, but that they should pick the one they prefer.
So far, the result is unanimous - everyone has preferred hophead, which is
actually the less powerful machine, but which runs Gnome2 on F16. No-one
liked perridge, which is a straight F16 machine. I've now put Gnome2 on
perridge, because I can't find anyone that wants to play with Gnome3, so
it was going to waste.

[3] The bulk of the people I look after are not very computer-literate.
They type when they *have to*. Asking them to type the name of something
they know is hard enough, but typing the bizarre names we get in the G/L
world? Not going to happen. They still insist that they use Excel and
Photoshop, even when the tools clearly claim to be LibreOffice and Gimp.