Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10…

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unity on Ubuntu 12.04 v. old Gnome/KDE on 10.04.x
On 01/07/12 10:26, Chris Liddell wrote:
> So, clearly I'm wrong. I've always wanted to work the way Unity works, I
> just didn't realise it......

I fail to see how being different is 'getting in the way'. There's a
learning curve with many things, but people seem to have a very low
tolerance for change on the desktop. Perhaps the proliferation of
desktops perpetuates that.

10 Choose a desktop
20 Install desktop
30 Spend 5 minutes using it, make a snap decision that it's not good
40 Goto 10

There's a lot of that about.

> Are you channelling the ghost of Steve Jobs? "There's our way, and
> there's the wrong way" is not an attitude I ever expected to find so
> openly espoused in the Unix world, and especially not in the Linux world.

Just because GNOME 2 did it one way for years, doesn't make it the right
way. It just makes it the established way. The established way can still
be wrong.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope