[Hampshire] Recommendations for LLU Broadband Provider with …

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations for LLU Broadband Provider with FastUpload
Subject: [Hampshire] Recommendations for LLU Broadband Provider with Fast Upload
Hey All,

We're moving office premises soon and the local exchange [1] supports
a number of broadband providers that are LLU enabled, so this gives us
some providers that do not use BT's network.

We're after a reliable fast upload provider that won't break the bank,
thus proper full SDSL is out. The idea is to help improve performance
for home workers on VPNs with VOIP phones etc and also for remote
offsite backup and the occasional large upload (isos etc).
We've evaluated an "Annex (M)" pseudo-SDSL package which offer a
guaranteed upload/download rate but the performance has been poor over
the regular BT phone line.

Some ideas put forward are Virgin Cable Broadband, which offers something like
Download - 31.87Mb/s Upload - 1.44Mb/s (Mb = Megabit) (source: speedtest.net)
Another idea was ADSL bonding but nearly everyone I talked to had
negative comments about its reliability. Yet another idea was to find
a provider that has "reverse ADSL", with the up and download speeds
reversed.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The exchange is due for upgrade to 21CN [2] soon which I understand
increases the upload speed "for free". Has anyone had their exchange
move to 21CN and noticed improvements? One respected ISP has stated
some negative things about 21CN [3].

[1] http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STLOCKH
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_21CN and
[3] http://aaisp.blogspot.com/2009/09/info-bt-single-box-design-still.html

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F