Re: [Hampshire] Convert 8-bit .bmp to 32 bit

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Convert 8-bit .bmp to 32 bit

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585db100.hantslug.org.uk.14624': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jan 27 11:03:40 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:10:11AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
> 2010/1/26 Keith Edmunds <kae@???>:
> > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:22:10 -0000, martin@??? said:
> >
> >> Perhaps a better question is, why do you _think_ you need a 32 bit colour
> >> image?
> >
> > Because the Sygic Moving Maps application (a SatNav application) on my
> > Android phone crashes with Point Of Interest icons that are not 32bit.
> > Yes, it's an app bug, but I figured it would be quicker to convert the
> > icons I want to use to 32bit than to try to get the application fixed.
>
> The Gimp certainly can't do it - it only works up to 12 bit images iirc
> I am surprised your satnav even supports that bit depth...

I suspect that the bitness you're talking about there is not
comparable. It sounds like Keith is talking about the bits per pixel
(where 8 and 32 are quite reasonable numbers), and you're talking
about bits per channel (where 12 is really quite large -- certainly
beyond the colour resolution of the human eye, which IIRC can manage
8-9 bits per channel, depending on which colours you're talking
about).

> I would look at the ImageMagic manpages very carefully as you are
> right that searching for 32 wont get you far.
> I have only ever use professional photo tools to work with 32 bit
> images (and even 16 bit is more than I can reasonably print)

Hugo.

           --- I must be musical:  I've got *loads* of CDs ---