Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations for LLU Broadband Provider w…

Author: LinuxLearner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations for LLU Broadband Provider with Fast Upload
Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> We're moving office premises soon and the local exchange [1] supports
> a number of broadband providers that are LLU enabled, so this gives us
> some providers that do not use BT's network.
>
> We're after a reliable fast upload provider that won't break the bank,
> thus proper full SDSL is out. The idea is to help improve performance
> for home workers on VPNs with VOIP phones etc and also for remote
> offsite backup and the occasional large upload (isos etc).
> We've evaluated an "Annex (M)" pseudo-SDSL package which offer a
> guaranteed upload/download rate but the performance has been poor over
> the regular BT phone line.
>
> Some ideas put forward are Virgin Cable Broadband, which offers something like
> Download - 31.87Mb/s Upload - 1.44Mb/s (Mb = Megabit) (source: speedtest.net)
> Another idea was ADSL bonding but nearly everyone I talked to had
> negative comments about its reliability. Yet another idea was to find
> a provider that has "reverse ADSL", with the up and download speeds
> reversed.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Imran,

Not sure if you'll get it, but I have just decided my next move will be
to pipex.co.uk to obtain their bandwidth shifting (taking some of the
downstream bandwidth and turning it into upstream), a.k.a. 'enhanced
upstream'. See "Pro" and "Premium Plus" packages:
http://www.pipex.co.uk/business/broadband/compare-packages.html

If you go with them/test them out, please post your thoughts, ASAP!
FWIW, they are LLU in parts of Surrey, but I have no idea about Hants!

Best,

LL