Re: [Hampshire] Printers

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printers
Leo wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a printer and was just wondering if anyone could
> recommend a make that works easily and well with Linux (Ubuntu).
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

Hi,

I've used the following:

    * HP Laserjet 4000n
    * HP Laserjet 4200n
    * HP Laserjet 4300n
    * HP Deskjet 895Cxi
    * HP 1310 multifunction **
    * HP Color Laserjet 2820  **
    * HP Color Laserjet 5500
    * HP Color Laserjet 8550
    * Samsung ML1750
    * Xerox Workcentre Pro 40 ***
    * Xerox Workcentre 7345 ****

** I have also successfully scanned with these.
*** No driver for it but the Pro 128 driver seemed to work fine.
**** The Linux driver can't control the finisher so the stapler doesn't
work.

All of these printers have worked out the box.

The guy down in our print room (an employee of Xerox on contract) says
that he considers the build quality of the small Xeroxes to be
comparable to the big ones and that he would buy them for home even
though he doesn't get employee discount. He commented that HP running
costs are much higher than Xerox per page.

I always regard HP as a safe bet. Epson are very much "in" with the OSS
community too.

I was going to suggest looking into the new Kodak ESP series printers
(cheap ink that doesn't fade) but an initial Google seems to suggest
that they're boat-anchors when it comes to Linux.

Cheers,
Paul.