Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display to TV.

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop display to TV.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5713d100.hantslug.org.uk.26898': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Aug 28 12:35:11 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:27:08PM +0100, Clive Woodfine wrote:
> I am trying to show my photo collection on the TV.
>
> My Sony laptop has Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 Graphics processor. I have
> installed nvidia 1.0 driver and run 'nvidia-xconfig
> --tv-out-format=SVIDEO' which adds a an SVIDEO option in ifconfig (see
> below) but nothing shows on the TV. I have had it working under
> Windows but at poor quality.
>
> I see ifconfig does not show screen resolution these days, should
> there be anything for the TV which is a Philips standard analogue?
> What am I missing?
>
> From ifconfig.

I think you mean xorg.conf. ifconfig is for managing network
devices... :)

>     Option         "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

Without knowing exactly what the option does (I don't have any
nVidia hardware), I'd guess that you've told it what format to use
when it's asked to do TV-out, but you haven't actually told it to *do*
TV out.

I don't know if the nVidia drivers support XRandR, but you could
try playing around with that. For starters, plug into the TV and run
xrandr to see what options you have available to you. You can then try
something like:

$ xrandr --output TV --auto --same-as LVDS

There's a couple of other options in a blog post[1] I made a while
ago about this.

Hugo.

[1] http://carfax.org.uk/blog/xrandr-config

                       --- Strive for apathy! ---