Re: [Hampshire] Annual General Meeting - Future of the LUG

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Annual General Meeting - Future of the LUG
On 12/08/16 18:43, Paul Tansom via Hampshire wrote:
> ** Andy via Hampshire <hampshire@???> [2016-08-11 23:54]:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016, Lisi Reisz via Hampshire wrote:
>>> On Thursday 11 August 2016 21:10:35 Tony Whitmore via Hampshire wrote:
> <snip>
>> For what it is worth (and assuming that a group of new and enthusiastic
>> individuals doesn't step forward to form a new committee) I will be voting
>> for option 2
> Likewise, it would be a shame for the LUG to fold, and that seems to be the
> best way of keeping the list in tact. Having been here through thick and thin
> since sometime in the late '90s I'd be sad to see the list go the way of others
> I've been on like the LBC (Linux Buyers Consortium if anyone remembers that
> one!).
>
>>> 2) The committee is disbanded and the constitution suitably updated to
>>> enable a sole LUG member to act as benefactor; to maintain the mailing
>>> list and optionally the website as they see fit with a suitable degree of
>>> consultation from the membership. In this case the current LUG funds will
>>> not be handed over to the benefactor.
>> and if nobody else wants the job I will volunteer as the LUG "benefactor",
>> though I admit I'm unlikely to have time to do much other than answer a few
>> emails each month.
> I'm happy to back up Andy to spread the load on managing the list / website
> (simplified as per the PLUG one I should think) and to do as we do at PLUG and
> ensure multiple lugmasters.

That would be excellent.

The only ongoing cost would be £6 per year to keep the domain name.

The content of the current website (and it's previous wiki incarnation), which was excellent in its day but is now mostly obsolete, can be archived onto paper tape or whatever the trendy storage medium is these days.

As the current web/hostmaster, I will be more than happy to hand over control to someone new when a decision has been made.

I don't think I ever took over complete control of the mailing list -- one Adrian Bridgett has that honour, as I recall. I do have an administrative password for it though.

Cheers,

Chris