[Hampshire] Annual General Meeting - Future of the LUG

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Annual General Meeting - Future of the LUG
Hello everybody,

Sparked by the imminent renewal of the HantsLUG domain name, the committee
has recently been discussing the future of the group. If there was
significant mailing list traffic we would just renew it without concern,
however, as there has been very little traffic, the question of whether
the LUG should continue has been raised. We are therefore calling a
meeting to determine the future of the LUG. A copy of the constitution is
available on the website, should you wish to view it.

In order to register to vote at the meeting, please e-mail
webmaster@??? with subject "votereg" please include your name
in the e-mail.

Details of the date and location will follow in a second e-mail. I would
urge everyone to attend if at all possible. Ultimately, it's your LUG and
up to you to decide it's future.

If this meeting is not quorate (at least eight voting members, or ten
percent (10%) of the total voting membership, whichever is the greater)
the committee will hold a further general meeting to decide what happens
next.

We have three options (this will form the agenda for the meeting):

1) A new committee is elected and the LUG continues as normal. Existing
committee members can stand for re-election. I will not be standing. -
Please submit nominations to chairman@???

2) The committee is disbanded and the constitution suitably updated to
enable a sole LUG member to act as benefactor; to maintain the mailing
list and optionally the website as they see fit with a suitable degree of
consultation from the membership. In this case the current LUG funds will
not be handed over to the benefactor.

3) The group is wound up. The mailing list and website will be taken
off-line and the domain-name either retained for 12 months, or given to
another LUG in Hampshire. No funds will be retained (see below).

For either option 2 or 3, no funds will be retained. This does not prevent
long-term purchase of domain name and services by the current committee,
prior to the funds being distributed. For distribution, the following is
suggested:

a) Nominations for suitable open-source projects/LUGs/Makerspaces etc. are
called for, over a period of a week. A list of all nominations will be
posted by the chairman. Nominations must be linux-related, open-source or
charitable, and not for personal gain; makerspaces are acceptable.

b) The members vote for their preferred nomination (1 vote per member) by
e-mail. Over the course of one week.

c) The votes are counted and the remaining LUG funds are split between the
top 5 nominations by percentage of votes. This will be announced on the
mailing list.

Best regards,

Tim Brocklehurst

--