Re: [Hampshire] Kitchen project

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kitchen project
** James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire <hampshire@???> [2016-07-11 23:46]:
> On 11 July 2016 at 15:39, Roger Munford via Hampshire <
> hampshire@???> wrote:
>
> > I am just about to install a new kitchen.
> >
> > For years I have had a mains powered radio that I switch on by clicking
> > the power socket. The station or volume never change and I like the
> > simplicity.
> >
> > However I would like to be able to listen to the bbc iplayer but I don't
> > mind taking extra time for fiddling about setting it up.
> >
> > I haven't had time to do any research about how I achieve this but must
> > cut the wiring channels for extra sockets and lights in the next day or so.
> >
> > I can imagine that a raspberry pi will be involved and so I am embedding a
> > standard double socket box in the wall with conduit leading down to it. I
> > have a false ceiling so there is plenty of space and access to power and
> > ethernet.
> >
> > I can envisage some sort of radio which runs independently and will
> > remember its last settings when powered up. The radio should also be able
> > to be controlled by the raspberry pi (volume,station) and also take audio
> > feed from the pi when required.
> > I can also envisage a touch screen to control it but have no idea how to
> > fix it to the wall.
> > If anybody has done something similar and can recommend some hardware, i
> > would be grateful.
> >
> I have a TV in my kitchen. That has music channels that I can switch to if
> there is nothing on the TV.
> Saves the need for a Radio.
>
> Another alternative is to put speakers in the roof, and set them up so that
> you can control them with your smart phone.
>
> Anywhere I have a mains socket or a tv socket or a ethernet socket, I have
> put in the wall round and not flat conduit so that I can easily re-wire the
> cables if they break or technology changes. So, it is quite easy to change
> a mains socket for a PoE socket if I so wish.

** end quote [James Courtier-Dutton via Hampshire]

Using some bluetooth speakers with a smartphone or tablet is quite a simple
option and pretty flexible too.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Vice Chair, FSB Portsmouth & SE Hampshire Branch | http://www.fsb.org.uk/