[Hampshire] Kitchen project

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Kitchen project
I am just about to install a new kitchen.

For years I have had a mains powered radio that I switch on by clicking
the power socket. The station or volume never change and I like the
simplicity.

However I would like to be able to listen to the bbc iplayer but I don't
mind taking extra time for fiddling about setting it up.

I haven't had time to do any research about how I achieve this but must
cut the wiring channels for extra sockets and lights in the next day or so.

I can imagine that a raspberry pi will be involved and so I am embedding
a standard double socket box in the wall with conduit leading down to
it. I have a false ceiling so there is plenty of space and access to
power and ethernet.

I can envisage some sort of radio which runs independently and will
remember its last settings when powered up. The radio should also be
able to be controlled by the raspberry pi (volume,station) and also take
audio feed from the pi when required.
I can also envisage a touch screen to control it but have no idea how to
fix it to the wall.
If anybody has done something similar and can recommend some hardware, i
would be grateful.

Regards

Roger