Re: [Hampshire] Kitchen project

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Roger Munford, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kitchen project
On 11 July 2016 at 15:39, Roger Munford via Hampshire <
hampshire@???> wrote:

> I am just about to install a new kitchen.
>
> For years I have had a mains powered radio that I switch on by clicking
> the power socket. The station or volume never change and I like the
> simplicity.
>
> However I would like to be able to listen to the bbc iplayer but I don't
> mind taking extra time for fiddling about setting it up.
>
> I haven't had time to do any research about how I achieve this but must
> cut the wiring channels for extra sockets and lights in the next day or so.
>
> I can imagine that a raspberry pi will be involved and so I am embedding a
> standard double socket box in the wall with conduit leading down to it. I
> have a false ceiling so there is plenty of space and access to power and
> ethernet.
>
> I can envisage some sort of radio which runs independently and will
> remember its last settings when powered up. The radio should also be able
> to be controlled by the raspberry pi (volume,station) and also take audio
> feed from the pi when required.
> I can also envisage a touch screen to control it but have no idea how to
> fix it to the wall.
> If anybody has done something similar and can recommend some hardware, i
> would be grateful.

I have a TV in my kitchen. That has music channels that I can switch to if
there is nothing on the TV.
Saves the need for a Radio.

Another alternative is to put speakers in the roof, and set them up so that
you can control them with your smart phone.

Anywhere I have a mains socket or a tv socket or a ethernet socket, I have
put in the wall round and not flat conduit so that I can easily re-wire the
cables if they break or technology changes. So, it is quite easy to change
a mains socket for a PoE socket if I so wish.

Kind Regards

James