Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar
Gordon,

You may be interested to know that the bee hives went in just after the
last panel was installed. The advantage of community ownership is that
people are prepared to spend the extra
to maintain and develop he environment and the profit stays in the
community.

Even if the climate change does not feel like an imperative there are
plenty of other problems that are serious but seem intractable. People
may argue that solar farms are a waste of good land.
However there seems to be acceptance that land must be used for
landfill. I lived in Germany for several years and they stopped sending
household waste to landfill about 15 years ago,
reduced incineration, recycled more and continued reusing bottles for
drinks etc. They had a cunning plan to do that which we could follow but
we are busy following their plan from the 80's
and will have to wait for another decade.

You may be following Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s current TV series War
on Waste. One theme is the outrageous waste of edible food rejected by
supermarkets which is the equivalent of a substantial
amount of land. One could argue that we could be putting solar on that
land instead and also protecting it from pesticides.

Whether you feel that climate change is a threat or not, developing the
technology required to combat it will inevitably lead to a much more
pleasant and healthy life.

Roger