Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar
Hi Brad,

On Thu, 2015-11-12 at 16:52 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> the NIMBY brigade.

Don't get me started :-)

I can't now remember who it was, who said "Sure I worry about my back
yard ... nobody else is going worry about it!"

It's notable that NIMBYs are always other people objecting to things in
_their_ back yard, that generally we'd(*) rather not have in our own
back yard. ((*) Same me/you disclaimer, of course).

There's been talk recently of how many millions more homes we need to
build for our inexorably rising population, and how many hundreds of
thousands of additional builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians and
so on we'll need to allow us to build them, which is one argument why we
need to allow immigration. I haven't yet heard how many houses we need
to build to house the builders etc., ... and their families.

I'm not in any way anti renewables, though I think they should perhaps
focus a little more on tidal stream, which is reliably 24/7 around our
coast, than the more fickle forms like wind, wave and solar; though even
with the fickle forms hydrogen production may eventually smooth out the
bumps in electricity generation.

FWIW, I didn't myself have much of an issue with Navitus Bay, though I
do find sailing near wind farms in fog a bit scary. Still, at least
wind farms don't run you down at 20kts :-) I have no idea of the
veracity of the view that they kill birds and bats.

BTW, there's a plan outline near me to build a, frankly staggering,
fifteen thousand homes on green land. Curiously, there are thousands of
NIMBYs in the area. Actually, it looks like it won't affect me much as
it's "over he fence" rather than "in my yard", but I'm likely to be
supporting those NIMBYs.

Meanwhile I'd quite like to downsize, but I'm wondering if I can
_afford_ to, when smaller houses are no cheaper and I have to pay legal
fees, estate agent fees, removal costs and stamp duty. There are
hundreds of thousands of us thinking much the same. There's housing
available if we join up the thinking properly.

Oh dear. I did warn you :-/

Gordon.

--
Gordon Scott.    Electronics and software engineering.
        Basingstoke UK

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh
we deprive a soul of the sun and light,
and of that proportion of life and time
it had been born into the world to enjoy.
=== Plutarch AD44-120