Re: [Hampshire] Google drive files and dropbox

Author: jlk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Google drive files and dropbox
On 2014-08-14 10:58, Edward Beckmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of sync'ing drive files
> locally, or directly with a dropbox account, with linux as the OS.
>
> I'm not into a debate about the trust / security issues of either as
> they are a separate issue. There simply seems to be a variety of free
> and paid-for offerings and I'd welcome the experience of anyone who
> has tried to achieve this themselves.
>
> Personally, dropbox works for me but I need to be able to link to
> files in a cloud as opposed to locally. Running a separate data
> server
> myself is not an option.

I guess you could say that I have a Google ring in my nose. 18 months
ago
I bought a Chromebook. A couple of days ago, I doubled down and bought
a Chromebox. The hardest admin task I ran into with the new box was
typing
in the Wifi-Router password to connect to the network. The software on
the new box was several months out of date but once it automatically
downloaded
the latest version and rebooted, everything sync'ed between my two
Chrome
machines. Passwords, browser history, bookmarks, and of course all
files.

It's not Dropbox and it's now pure Linux, but it does work. YMMV

Next week or so, the Chromebox will have a H/W upgrade to memory and
SSD disk.
I will continue to dual boot Chrome OS and Mint or similar for a while.
like the security of Chrome and the once every 6 weeks or so re-boot to
update
SysAdmin but I do need a CLI fix from time to time. Just wish that
Google
would do for Linux what the did for MS Windows and provide a sandbox
VM.