Re: [Hampshire] ISP Filtering

Author: Martin N
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISP Filtering
Hello,

At 19:06 23/07/2014, you wrote:
>Martin,
>    Like you I use OpenDNS instead of my ISP's DNS, but that wasn't
> the point of my post.

Yes i understand that.

>If you have your own website then you should check to see if any of
>the Major UK ISP's are blocking it.
>I found that SKY is blocking my Wordpress Blog.
>So far they have not responded to my request to get it unblocked.
>
>If they are blocking it then they have to have a reason. It can't be
>because their crawlers have read the content of my site because they
>are all blocked and from the logs, I can't see any SKY domain
>looking at my site to determine its contents.

Which is always the problem with automatic filtering it catches
plenty of false positives.
For the system to work effectively it needs to have a clear reporting system.
Which of course the Cameron filters dont.

>While I agree with the objectives of stopping children from
>accessing the nastier side of the internet, blocking sites that are
>nothing more than a BLOG simply because a blog could contain bad
>stuff just ain't on IMHO. My site contains nothing more than a load
>of stories that I have written over the years. So why block it.

Kids at the school i worked at knew how to get around filters at school.
Yes you need some basic filtering to stop casual interest but its
very difficult to stop kids
seeing the nastier side of the net.

> From what I've read, I am far from the only Blog owner that has this happen.

This also happens with the Digital millenium Act? in america were
sites have been blocked for
2 years despite not having music or TV copyrighted material.
Again no system to challenge the automated blocking.

Martin

New NSA Slogan:
"We work to ensure your safety.
Don't Worry We Have Your Back[door] "