Re: [Hampshire] Top posting

Author: Michael Pavling
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Top posting
On 27 May 2014 12:54, Anton Piatek <anton@???> wrote:

> Your presumption however assumes that it is that much harder to read?
> If it really were, then all mail clients would make top-posting hard.

If I wrote my reply in ROT13, it would be harder to read.
Ohg rznvy pyvragf qba'g cerirag zr sebz qbvat fb.

The fact that most of the corporate mail clients don't speaks volumes
> for how the rest of the world thinks email should work.

"Writing an email at the top because that's where the cursor is, is like
messing in your trousers because that's where your backside is." (sanitised
for a family-friendly list :-)

That cursors appear at the top is a "good thing" - if it defaulted to the
bottom, I'd have to scroll all the way back up to start reading the content
of the email.

But just because I read from the top, doesn't mean that's where my reply
should go. It *should* go wherever is best for it.

> Personally I'd rather see secure email solved rather than top/bottom
> posting

Quite... it's a very different issue though (I'd rather see malaria
eradicated... but it has little to do with a discussion about top-posting
;-)

PS You might notice that I don't 'bottom post' or 'top post'... I try to
make my replies address the content I'm talking about.