Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.
Hi Andy,

If you have a desktop PC with at least two SATA connections then I'd do this:

0. Burn a copy of SysRescueCD or use any Live CD Linux distro (CD or USB fine)
1. Attach old laptop HDD and new laptop HDD to desktop PC motherboard
2. Boot with SysRescueCD or Live distro
3. use cfdisk to double-check which HDD is which (eg. confirm sizes by
inspecting "cfdisk /dev/sda")
4. Assuming old HDD is /dev/sda, then "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4M"
5. Go make a tea /coffee as this can take hours

The commands should be run as root. It was copy everything at block
level so GRUB, MBR etc is handled.

If your new HDD is an SDD I think that the dd method is not optimal
for some reason, but don't quote me on that. I've done this several
times for laptops and desktop PCs.

On 5 May 2014 15:27, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions on the best/current tools for duplicating a HD?
>
> I have a Win7 laptop that I want to upgrade the disk in it so I can dual
> boot it with Linux.
>
> I have a replacement disk, but want to duplicate the exiting one onto the
> new drive.
>
> I've used Clonezilla before to do this kind of thing on a desktop where I
> can have both drives connected at once, but I'm not sure the best way to do
> this on a laptop where only one disk can be connected at a time.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Andy
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Key fingerprint = EF78 310C C517 9564 9ECA 82F6 68FA E621 17E1 5D16
http://about.me/imranchaudhry