Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.
On 5 May 2014 15:27, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
> I've used Clonezilla before to do this kind of thing on a desktop where I
> can have both drives connected at once, but I'm not sure the best way to do
> this on a laptop where only one disk can be connected at a time.

Why can only one be connected at a time? Can you not stick the new one
in an external enclosure, or some USB to SATA/IDE converter?

> Any suggestions?

I used an external adapter, booted from a Live USB stick and just used
gparted. It has a copy/paste feature where you just pick up partitions
from one disk and paste them onto another disk. Works rather well
modulo USB transfer speeds.

The only gotcha I had doing this was needing to manually install grub,
but that's not beyond the wit of man.

Cheers,
Al.