Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.

Author: Simon Reap
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk copy/duplication for upgrade.
On 05/05/2014 15:27, Andy Random wrote:

> Any suggestions on the best/current tools for duplicating a HD?
>
> I have a Win7 laptop that I want to upgrade the disk in it so I can
> dual boot it with Linux.

I had to to do the same thing recently with a laptop. I don't have the
mini SATA connector on my USB adapter, so I too could only run one disk
at once.

I attached a large USB disk (with at least as much space as the old
drive size, and something like NTFS or ext4, so that huge files can be
created). I then booted from a live cd (Knoppix, but others will do
fine), dd-ed the old disk to a file on the USB disk, powered off and
installed the new disk, booted again from live CD, and dd-ed the file
back to the new disk.

simon