Re: [Hampshire] Over heating CPU

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: James Courtier-Dutton
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Over heating CPU

> After checking the fan is running, clean it of dust. The most likely
> problem is replace the thermal paste between cpu and heatsink.

This morning I cleaned enough fluff off the CPU cooler to make a reasonably
sized dust bunny.

I also repositioned the air-duct to the fan that it draws air in with as I
noticed it wasn't very well aligned to the fan. I then raised the CPU clock
limit from 1 GHz to 2.6 GHz (max is 3.2 GHz) and at the moment it's idling at
1 GHz and only 28°C which is several degrees cooler than it was idling before,
so the clean and duct move was worth the effort.

I now need to find out if I max the CPU out how hot it will get and thus what
the maximum safe clock speed is. It may bee the paste doesn't need replacing
quite as urgently as I first thought.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet