[Hampshire] Over heating CPU

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Over heating CPU

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57347100.hantslug.org.uk.8738': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Apr 13 20:07:55 2014 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8
Hi,

My 7 year old DNUK home server is prone to overheating.

It has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor which is okay at 1GHz but when
it gets up to 3.2GHz the temperature quickly rises, it starts to beep and if
left long enough it shuts down.

If I left it at 100% CPU load for hours it use to happen, now it will happen
after less than 1 hour, it can take as little as 30 minutes under full load.

I now run it with the CPU governor, mostly set to on-demand and it spends
around 98% of it's life at 1Gz and is fine for what I use it. However it I do
need the CPU grunt, it shoots up to 3.2GHz and then over heats.

My current compromise is to lock the CPU at 1Gz and it's fine but it should be
fine to run at the maximum clock speed for a while at least if I need it (e.g.
running virtual machines).

Having checked the mechanicals out this afternoon, the PSU, case and CPU fan
are all running fine.

I know the parts are getting old and were all generic jobs in the first place.

My gut feeling is that the CPU cooler paste is probably past it? And if so
what is the best replacement alternative for a basic home server? Is there
anything else I could consider?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for
the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all.
    -- John Maynard Keynes