Re: [Hampshire] Over heating CPU

Author: Tim
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Over heating CPU
On 13/04/14 23:49, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Apr 2014, you wrote:
>>> My gut feeling is that the CPU cooler paste is probably past it?
>> Yes.
>>
>> I seem to get about 3 years from modern stuff; at 7, your machine is long
>> overdue for a re-pasting.
>>
>> Make sure you clean off all the old crud with acetone or similar, then
>> replace with fresh stuff. I'm unconvinced that any one brand is better
>> than another - I use a large tube of Servisol.
> It seems everyone is of the same opinion. Something to do over Easter...

If the power supply has a large internal fan normally found on the
bottom of the PSU (as you look from the side of the PC) so it is sucking
air out of the inside off the PC passing it over the PSU components and
out through the rear vent make sure that it is working. I had PC with
that sort of PSU and the fan was failing (it was turning very slowly and
stiff to turn by hand). Also depending where you store the PC take the
front cover of the PC and clean out the dust to ensure a unrestricted
air flow. If the server sits on a carpet make sure there is plenty of
room under the front panel for air to get into the PC (place a piece of
ply on the carpet for the PC to sit on).

Tim