Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: tim, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer
Tim: yes. It's heirarchical - think of this as a rough analogy:

"Sessions" in tmux can be thought of as separate terminal windows on your desktop.
"Windows" in tmux can be thought of as tabs in one terminal window on your desktop.
"Panes" in tmux are effectively splitting a single tab in your terminal into multiple CLIs. Each tmux window can have it's own configuration of tmux panes (which, as Anton points out, are persistent).

Here's a screenshot of session [0]; window 4 (of at least 17) showing 4 panes (by the looks of it: remote tmux (showing irssi), 2 bash prompts and a music player (an mpd client perhaps?)).
http://tmux.sourceforge.net/tmux5.png

More screenshots here:

http://tmux.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps,