Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer
On 15/04/13 10:09, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> Does anyone here use tmux (as opposed to screen) for terminal multiplexing? I've been using it for a few months and it's awesome - especially v1.8 which was released just a couple of weeks back. I no longer use tabs/multiple terminals - everything on my system goes through one single terminal window via tmux sessions, windows and panes; even when I'm working locally only.
>
> I'm aware that screen can do some things that tmux can't - I'd love to hear from anyone who uses these screen features so I can learn what I'm missing out on!
>
> If anyone would be interested in hearing about how I use tmux then I'd be happy to write something up?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Benjie.

A question and apologies if I over simplify this or use the wrong
terminology. I had never heard of tmux before this thread started, but
am I to assume that tmux is a command line tool which allows you to run
multiple terminal screens in a "window" like environment (so you can run
more than one terminal on a cli screen), similar to running a graphical
desktop and opening lots of terminals applications?

Tim