Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tmux - the terminal multiplexer
Imran: nice. I prefer using Ctrl-s as prefix - I never use XOFF/XON
deliberately, so I don't lose a binding. Ctrl-a is very useful I find -
increment number in vim normal mode; jump to beginning of line in
bash/emacs; and other uses I forget - so I don't like overriding it. Others
I know use Ctrl-space but I use this globally in my desktop environment.

I like your 'r' binding to reload!

-------------

Victor, Andy and anyone else interested in tmux vs screen:

tmux splits both ways without a patch (screen may do this too now; I'm not
up to date with it) and has handy tools for rearranging the splits
('panes').

Multiple tmux clients can connect to the same tmux "server"; so two people
can share the same tmux instance but they can both view the same 'window'
or different windows. tmux will automatically resize a shared window to the
smallest of the connected screens, but will resize it back up again when
no-one else is viewing the current window. This is great for pair
programming (though I've not tried it for this); but I've used it for
setting up a Raspberry Pi server at So Make It easily with a friend - he
was configuring some things whilst I others; but we could each quickly
switch to each others windows to either work together, glean information,
or just to see what the other was doing. I've also seen people use this for
guiding newbies in the setting up of Linux/Linux software on a fresh
machine.

It's easy to move panes between windows, and even move windows between
sessions. It's easy to switch sessions. It's highly configurable. You can
give it vi-like bindings if desired.

Panes/windows can be shared across multiple sessions.

Tmux seems faster and lighter than screen to me; but this may just be my
perception.

Cheers,

Benjie.