Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting
On 13/04/13 20:01, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My daughter's 21st is nearly upon us and she has told us that she
> would like a new laptop.
>
> We were idly browsing some in PC World today and it became apparent
> that they were all shipping with Windows 8.
>
> Ellen is a Linux Mint user and would like to continue to use it on her
> new laptop, but I have heard that our normal MO, squashing Windows
> into a much smaller partition and then installing Mint on the back
> end, isn't an option.
>
> It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to claim back the Windows
> tax, but last time we enquired about it with Acer (she doesn't want
> another Acer btw) they wanted it shipped back to them (at our expense)
> so that they could remove it. We did the maths and calculated we stood
> to gain little more than a moral victory after paying for fully
> insured shipping, and therefore decided to leave Windows 7 where it
> was, which was just as well as it actually turned out to be useful for
> a couple of things in the end.
>
> Anyway, I'm rambling now! Does anyone have any experience of such
> things that they would care to share?
>
> Sean

I recently purchased a new HP PC for work (not my choice I was told that
the one I had to order) and was concerned about it being Windows 8, my
supplier said that it comes with Windows 7 installed and discs for
windows 8, he also mentioned that many of the HP range of PC's and
laptops for business are currently setup that way. Maybe if you can find
a business supplier of HP and purchase one that way??

Tim