[Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting
Hi Folks,

My daughter's 21st is nearly upon us and she has told us that she would
like a new laptop.

We were idly browsing some in PC World today and it became apparent that
they were all shipping with Windows 8.

Ellen is a Linux Mint user and would like to continue to use it on her
new laptop, but I have heard that our normal MO, squashing Windows into
a much smaller partition and then installing Mint on the back end, isn't
an option.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to claim back the Windows
tax, but last time we enquired about it with Acer (she doesn't want
another Acer btw) they wanted it shipped back to them (at our expense)
so that they could remove it. We did the maths and calculated we stood
to gain little more than a moral victory after paying for fully insured
shipping, and therefore decided to leave Windows 7 where it was, which
was just as well as it actually turned out to be useful for a couple of
things in the end.

Anyway, I'm rambling now! Does anyone have any experience of such things
that they would care to share?

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk