Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Windows 8 + Dual Booting
On 15 April 2013 23:11, Leszek Kobiernicki 1 <l.kobiernicki@???>wrote:

> On 14/04/13 22:38, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
>
> On Sunday, 14 April 2013, Leszek Kobiernicki 1 wrote:
>
>> (snip) Win_8 ( = a Cloud implementation - hence it resides on a M$
>> Server on their own proprietory WAN somewhere ) & Linux, or any flavour of
>> BSD, or other UNIX eg. SUN/Oracle Solaris 10 ( 11 is a Cloud version ! )
>>

> Erm, huh?
>
> windows 8 is a cloud implementation therefore it lives on a server? And
> the same of Solaris 11?
>
> I want some of whatever you've had!
>
> Seriously though, we're not going to win people over from the
> proprietary world with this kind of scaremongering and outright
> inaccuracies. The rest of your email was useful information but you spoilt
> it with this cloud fud.
>
> I did try sharing this ( below ) with the LUG, but the Server won't accept
> 40K+ posts -- o resent, this time, to your e-mail addresses
>
> Ahem .. POINT 1:

> " *Windows 8 and the Cloud: SkyDrive** *"
>
> Microsoft's cloud storage service, SkyDrive, ... only with Windows 8<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392886,00.asp>does SkyDrive become an integral part of Microsoft's operating system
> strategy. Not only will the built-in modern-style Windows 8 apps like Mail
> and Photos be able to use your SkyDrive, but third-party apps, too, will be
> able to save items to your SkyDrive cloud storage folders. ... Windows
> 8's cloud services go beyond just SkyDrive storage. Signing into a
> Microsoft account on different machines lets you "roam," or sync, all your
> PC settings, such as the lock screen image, user photo, start screen
> "tattoos," browser favorites and history, spell check dictionaries,
> Explorer settings, mouse settings, and accessibility settings. Not only
> can you sync these settings, but you'll also be able to see in the Windows
> Store any apps you've installed on other PCs "
>
> and
>

> http://www.geek.com/news/windows-8-cloud-powered-roaming-user-profiles-revealed-1351491/
>
> and
>

> http://www.forbes.com/sites/netapp/2012/10/11/windows-8-release-date-tablet-microsoft-cloud/
>
> "* PC users will face two big changes with Windows 8:* Its emphasis on
> cloud-based apps over traditional software applications that need to be
> installed on the computer; and the way that Windows 8 is optimized for
> phones and tablets, putting an emphasis on touchscreen navigation. The user
> experience is deeply unfamiliar if you have to rely on a mouse to get
> around ".
>
> and
>
> http://www.fixcleaner.com/blog/index.php/windows-8/271-cloud-computing-win8
>
> etc.
>
> ( If that ain't surveillance, I don't know what is )

I'm no windows lover, but I still think this is misinformation. Windows 8
will function perfectly fine without touching any cloud or internet service.

> POINT 2:
>

> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris11/overview/index.htm

snipped the image

> Oracle SOLARIS 11
>
> *Not of course SUN SOLARIS 10, *which is still cloud-free ( and FREE to
> download, as well, if your hardware can take it )
>
> If I'm dreaming, it's entirely based on what the two Cloud 9 companies say
> about their own OSs !

The image of solaris suggests that it's the "first cloud os". That does not
mean that it does the surveiling and naughtiness you suggest of it. In fact
it purely means that the os is designed to be run by a _cloud operator_ as
infrastructure, not that it does fancy file syncing and hidden
screenshotting and nasty key logging!

> As for winning people over, try this:
>
> 1.    Win OSS have ALL been hacked ( it takes seconds for a WinHack to
> drive through a router )
> 2.    Linux OSs are 3-10 times FASTER
> 3.    They don't burn out the hardware - unlike MS Win will do, at some
> point
> 4.    All Linux temp/junk files are easily deleted with 2 free apps:
> FSLINT and UBUNTU TWEAK so your system can always be CLEAN
> 5.    All Linux updates ( OS AND apps ) can be updated with a single
> concatenated CLI command
> 6.    Linux OSs on a built box last c. 7 years + consistently upgrading;
> MS Win OSs are only rated as 4-6 years AT BEST
> 7.    Linux OSs are **************** FREE ********************** and so
> are most of their apps
> 8.    You can do almost anything on Linux, that MS Win does, except a few
> apps, eg. Visio, MS Publisher, SharePoint etc.
> 9.    LUG support is free - unless you feel like donating to the local
> Contributions box
> 10.  With Linux, you need NEVER pay for another piece of software ever
> again

Those are all valid points, but not many of them are likely to be a
deal-maker/breaker for switching from Windows to Linux. Again, I need to
point out that I am fervently an open source advocate, but I feel that a
lot of people in the OSS world miss the point when it comes to targeting
users of proprietary software in the same ways that the proprietary vendors
do of OSS users (remember Microsoft's FUD campaign? A lot of people in OSS
world do the same but with different agendas).

'Nuff said ?

--
Daniel Llewellyn