Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Android tablet for children?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Android tablet for children?
Superb reply. Many thanks for that Popey - and others.

Sadly iPad is out the budget. I considered an iPod Touch 4th Gen
(used, ~£99 with warranty) but the small screen put us off.

Know what you mean about the lack of Android support - I wanted an
earphone+mic for my Android phone recently and noticed there was
probably 80%/20% split in the supermarket for iPhone/Pod/Pad devices
versus Android. Erm, don't we hear that Android is outselling iPhone?

Yeah, lack of hardware keys and volume has been highlighted in these
things. In the end though I plumped for the Nabi 2. It's approx the
same power as the Nexus 7 and the build quality seems good. I figured
that as time goes on I can root it and turn it into a more
sophisticated device.

Thanks again for the input!

On 27 March 2013 23:09, Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:
> On 27/03/13 17:58, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>>
>> There's a number of "geek dads" among us so does anyone have
>> recommendations for an Android tablet for kids?
>>

> Based on my own experience I would not recommend any Android tablets for
> kids^Wanyone. That said I have a Nexus 7 which has multiple user profiles
> and is thus used by all four of us. Clare uses it now and then (if it's
> within reach and no other computers are) for email, Facebook & web. I use it
> now and then for Netflix, web, email and the odd game.
>
> The kids use it for playing games, my eldest also uses it for emailing
> friends and browsing Amazon.
>

>> I have heard the cheaper tablets have oddities such as wifi being
>> impaired by a metal back cover.
>>

> Quality is a concern. Some of the cheapo ones are real stinkers in terms of
> reliability, build, battery life, touch sensitivity and software upgrades.
>
> One Android specific frustration my kids (and I) have had is the soft
> buttons. It's incredibly easy to accidentally close an app, switch apps,
> back out of an app or bring up Google Now when you're in the middle of an
> intense game of some kind. This is especially apparent with young kids who
> haven't mastered finger control as much, but I've done it too mid game and
> it made me want to bury the tablet in the garden, dig it up, shoot it, burn
> it, chop it up and burn it again.
>

>> I was going to go for a 2nd hand Nubi 2 [0] which although
>> Android-based has a "walled garden" of apps to filter out the bad
>> stuff.
>

> You can achieve a similar thing by installing apps for them and not giving
> them access to the play store at all. Or, you know, buy an iPad.
>

>> I am also considering a Nexus 7 which with protective covers
>> can be made more kid-friendly, my concern though is that Play store is
>> more "wild" making it easier for the little 'uns to make in-app
>> purchases and be exposed to dodgy ads.
>>

> They can't do in app "purchases" if you don't put a credit card on their
> account, or give them credit in Google Play vouchers. They can of course
> install free stuff which may bombard them with adverts if you link a Google
> account to their Nexus 7 login (which you have to if you want them to have
> any apps at all).
>
> Having watched my two (aged 6 and 9) use the Nexus 7 I've been pretty
> appalled at nagging popups that many apps in the Google Play store use to
> get you to install other stuff. I've logged in as them on it and see a
> plethora of additional crappy apps which were 'recommended' by the apps they
> already had. There are some awful adverts too which are made to look like
> Facebook like pages or system dialogs. It's like browsing Geocities in
> Internet Explorer with no advert blocking from 10 years ago.
>
> Conversely I also have an iPhone and an iPad and have _no_ problem with them
> play with those whatsoever as they just don't have the same kind of nagging
> [...]

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry