Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58070100.hantslug.org.uk.6551': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 28 11:50:15 2013 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 09:31:45AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> You misunderstand me, Andy. I myself would benefit from fairly basic talks
> and generally find those I attend pretty much above my head. But it is my
> perception that most of you are considerably more knowledgeable than I am. I
> am also very conscious that in some locations everyone is in the same room
> and an inaccessible talk can be very boring.

Then I am baffled as to why you would claim that nobody needs
beginner talks when you yourself find existing talks go above your
head.

Why are you so scared of asking for what you want that you would
even go so far as to say there can be nobody else like you? I think
that is highly unlikely.

> Since my perception is that most of you are above my head, I also think that
> having the talks too basic could drive people away. If we find a way of
> attracting more total beginners, then obviously that balance would change.
>
> Are we perhaps meaning something different by "complete beginner"??

The same evening that you sent your email that said, "I would have
thought that talks for the complete beginner would have a very
limited audience at LUG meetings" you were, over on Surrey LUG,
explaining to someone how to save the buffer in nano.

Not knowing how to save a buffer in nano strikes me as "complete
beginner".

So between you and them, there's two, and I tend to think from the
level of expertise demonstrated in most threads on LUGs that you and
they are more the norm than you realise.

Cheers,
Andy