Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Promoting LUG meets via social networking
The LUG is different things to different people. It has always worked
pretty well as a group for self-help and information interchange between
members who are pretty committed and established Linux users. My
observation would be that it has perhaps worked less well as a vehicle for
introducing Linux to new or potentially new users and supporting them in
the early stages of getting to know Linux.

Typical Saturday meetings seem to be largely attended by hard-core
long-term members and less so by new users, and I fear that there may be
many new/potential users who come to one meeting and don't come again
because they feel out of their depth. So some intentionally
'newbie-friendly' structures (specific events, or talks/threads at
meetings) might be a great help in that area. As has been said already, it
may be hard to set that upwithout causing the more established users to
wander off due to lack of interest. (It also seems to me that there has a
bit of a downward trend in the "long term user attendance", maybe due to
the way that Linux itself has changed over the years. That's a different
discussion.)

--
best regards,

Victor Churchill,