Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Scamming call
On 27/01/13 22:17, Tony Wood wrote:
> Oh I like that, Brad: the witness protection idea.
>
> I think the pause on answering (many calls) is due to computer
> dialling connecting the call centre worker when it finds an answered
> phone.

There are several techniques, in particular people and answering
machines tend to have a different voice pattern and it's possible to
tell them apart surprisingly reliably. They're also trying to allocate
their call to you to an available caller and sometimes they can't.

> When I'm addressed by name - in such circumstances - I never admit to
> being ...

With cold call sales, I used to start trying to sell them whatever it
was they were trying to sell me, and start getting grumpy with them
asking why they 'phoned me if they weren't interested in buying the product.

I can do a quite passable 'not all there'. It comes naturally to me, of
course :-)
Just asking their name every third question works quite well.

"Yes, of course .. ask as many question as you like" (not one of which
will I answer, of course).

Now I use the caller ID, I'll probably never get to try "Oh yes, I've
been looking to buy quite a lot of of <blah>, hang on a moment. don't do
away, I have some questions here, somewhere.