Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks

-----Original Message-----
From: hampshire-bounces@???
[mailto:hampshire-bounces@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Chris Dennis
Sent: 14 January 2013 22:32
To: Hampshire@???
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks

>A client of mine, a small business in Fordingbridge, uses various Sage

products on Windows 7 which >generate a lot of LAN traffic, and they're
experiencing various intermittent problems.

Hi Chris

Latency in Windows networks is something of an occupational hazard I find.
I can't comment on Sage never having used it but have you also considered
Outlook? I work for a local council now and our network is frankly woeful
doing anything with Outlook. Two reasons:
1) People store archive emails actually on the mail server (as opposed to
local personal folders on the SANs).
2) People set the interval between checks for mail so short (so as not to
miss the all important "coffee's brewed" message) that the load on the mail
server becomes enormous.

As I say - possibly barking up the wrong tree here - but certainly worth a
look in my experience with Windows networks.

Cheers
Rob