Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks

Author: Chris Dennis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks
Thanks for your reply James. Answering your questions helps to focus on
what the issues really are.

On 14/01/13 22:44, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 14 January 2013 22:31, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:
>> Hello folks
>>
>> Sorry to mention the W word...
>>
>> A client of mine, a small business in Fordingbridge, uses various Sage
>> products on Windows 7 which generate a lot of LAN traffic, and they're
>> experiencing various intermittent problems.
>>
>> There's a Linux server on the network, but it seems to be Windows-to-Windows
>> networking that's causing the trouble.
>>
>> Does anyone know of ways to stress-test the network to pinpoint the
>> problems?
>>
>> I don't yet know if it's a hardware or software issue.
>>
>> There are all sorts of tweaks that can be applied to network card drivers,
>> but I don't want to start just twiddling knobs at random (because you can
>> get arrested for that).
>>

> There are all sorts of "stress-test" tools, but they are all very
> targetted on specific tests. E.g. Load testing a web server etc.
> So, not much help until you narrow down the problem a bit.
> Can you be a bit more specific regarding the "intermittent problems"?

They use Sage accounting and manufacturing software, with one W7 PC
acting as 'server'. They complain of occasional pauses in
responsiveness, and sometimes seem to lose data (e.g. invoices get
corrupted).

> Also, some description regarding the network. Is it just one office,
> or are there WAN links involved.
> What network equipment is involved? What is the length of cable runs,
> what type of network cable? etc.

One small office, with an unmanaged gigabit switch and a domestic-style
ADSL router. There are four W7 PCs, all with gigabit NICs, connected
via the switch (avoiding the non-gigabit router). And a Linux server
which just does email and backups (from the server to a USB disk), so
shouldn't be part of the Sage problem. And a networked HP laser printer
attached to the router.

All the cable runs are 10m or less, except for one about 50m down to the
workshop. The cabling is cat5e (probably -- I should check).

> Have you done any network packet traces to see what sort of packets
> are carrying the "lot of LAN traffic" ?

No, not yet.

The problems happen when they're busy, so it's difficult to get in and
run tests.

I know Windows itself is capable of performance monitoring, but setting
up the relevant 'collector sets' is complicated, and I haven't found out
how to collect useful information that way.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???