Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] (Windows) networking bottlenecks
On 14 January 2013 22:31, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> Sorry to mention the W word...
>
> A client of mine, a small business in Fordingbridge, uses various Sage
> products on Windows 7 which generate a lot of LAN traffic, and they're
> experiencing various intermittent problems.
>
> There's a Linux server on the network, but it seems to be Windows-to-Windows
> networking that's causing the trouble.
>
> Does anyone know of ways to stress-test the network to pinpoint the
> problems?
>
> I don't yet know if it's a hardware or software issue.
>
> There are all sorts of tweaks that can be applied to network card drivers,
> but I don't want to start just twiddling knobs at random (because you can
> get arrested for that).

There are all sorts of "stress-test" tools, but they are all very
targetted on specific tests. E.g. Load testing a web server etc.
So, not much help until you narrow down the problem a bit.
Can you be a bit more specific regarding the "intermittent problems"?
Also, some description regarding the network. Is it just one office,
or are there WAN links involved.
What network equipment is involved? What is the length of cable runs,
what type of network cable? etc.
Have you done any network packet traces to see what sort of packets
are carrying the "lot of LAN traffic" ?