Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Russell Gadd
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
On 12/12/12 10:06, Anton Piatek wrote:
> Canonical is a company and has a right to turn a profit. It also pays
> developers, so needs to fund that somehow.
> Unless you are prepared to start donating to Canonical, this seems like a
> reasonable way to make some money. They anonymise all input data so that
> amazon etc can't tell who it is from and do not store it. There are still
> some privacy issues but I am told these are being worked on, and even the
> EFF has raised the points so it isn't like it is a secret.
>
> If you want a really open, properly free (libre) operating system then you
> should be looking at Debian as it is the only linux I know of that has a
> goal of free software and is serious about it -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines
> I really admire Debian for it's goals of completely free software, and if I
> were to donate to any linux it would be Debian, despite most of my machines
> now being Ubuntu.
>
> Anton

It seems reasonable but although at present the data is to be used
anonymously, that isn't really enough for people to be disadvantaged.

I see it as a dangerous marketing tool. For example I buy groceries at
Ocado and I noticed these statement that they make on their web site:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/content/ws5/customerServices/termsAndConditions/voucherTerms

"Will all customers receive the same offer?

Ocado may from time to time run different customer offers or Vouchers,
with different terms (including amounts, types and expiry dates). Ocado
reserves the right to limit the applicability of any particular offer to
specific regions or delivery areas. Different offers and Vouchers may be
run simultaneously."

Also here:
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/content/ws5/customerServices/policies/privacypolicy

"Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of Ocado customers on
behalf of other businesses"

So there's obviously some targeting with different areas receiving
better terms than others. When will this be drilled down to individual
consumers? It is said that information gathered from cookies can very
accurately paint a picture of an individual. I don't know if they can
link this to an email address.

So coming back to Ubuntu, is this the thin end of the wedge? If
Canonical were to stop using the data anonymously how would people be
made aware of it - in some small print?

It's worrying, but there's no easy choice. I agree that unless you are
using software developed by enthusiasts giving their time for nothing
(e.g. Debian), there has to be a mechanism to pay for it. Advertising is
one way. I don't like adverts (their basic ethical approach is like
lawyers presenting a case in court - no balanced view) and they are
getting into my subconscious even if I think I'm making rational
choices. However this is another method of raising finance, and I'd
prefer adverts to data gathering.

Unfortunately what I'd prefer isn't going to change anything. I shop on
the internet. Whether Canonical do this won't stop the data gathering.
It's already too late, so I guess they might as well get in on the act.
We might think we are masters of our destiny, but if we choose to live
in the modern world we are at the mercy of big corporates whether we
like it or not, using Debian or Ubuntu.