Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 10:06 +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:

> Canonical is a company and has a right to turn a profit. It also pays
> developers, so needs to fund that somehow.

Indeed.

> Unless you are prepared to start donating to Canonical, this seems
> like a reasonable way to make some money.

Personally I've made a number of donations, though not actually to
Canonical.
It sometimes seems depressingly difficult to get commercial
organisations to donate. There are a number that happily use
OpenOffice/LibreOffice are reluctant stump up a few beer token for their
part of the deal.

> They anonymise all input data so that amazon etc can't tell who it is
> from and do not store it.

That helps.

I get quite angry at organisations that pass on information.
My wife now gets around three begging letters every day from countless
charities, many of them containing 'gifts'. The effect is that we've
both hardened against it and decline them all. I don't (yet) get
bombarded, but declined one recently to which I felt I wanted to donate,
purely because of a wish not to risk further 'opening the flood gates'.

The concern as others have said, is of trust. I don't too much mind
targeted advertising, though the presumption always is that a search was
for me and not for a client, and I get very unhappy when I see, as with
Google, targeted advertising based on the content of emails between
individuals. How far organisations feel they can take such liberties
seems subject to permanent creep.

Gordon.