Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
Hi

Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

>On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 10:06 +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
>
>> Canonical is a company and has a right to turn a profit. It also pays
>> developers, so needs to fund that somehow.
>
>Indeed.

I've been happy enough taking their hard work ever since 2005 so I feel that I should support it.

Something trivial that did strike me as not nice though was the way, if you decline to make a donation when you download the latest version, the donation icon changes to a nasty-looking skull. Just seemed to spoil the whole relationship.

>> Unless you are prepared to start donating to Canonical, this seems
>> like a reasonable way to make some money.
>
>Personally I've made a number of donations, though not actually to
>Canonical.
>It sometimes seems depressingly difficult to get commercial
>organisations to donate. There are a number that happily use
>OpenOffice/LibreOffice are reluctant stump up a few beer token for
>their
>part of the deal.

At work, we have just donated hardware to the value of nearly £3000 to an open source project in order to speed up the efforts to support it. I've found it hard to make donations to projects in the past. With corporate businesses, I can easily say I want 6 licenses for product X, tell the bean counter that it costs £50 a go and get approval. If I want to give the same £300 to Ubuntu as a donation, that is much harder.

"So you want to buy some software? "

" No, I want to make a donation to the people that made it. "

" How much does the software cost? "

" The software doesn't cost anything. "

" So why are we playing for it? "

" To fund the continued development of it. "

" So when will these improvements be delivered? "

" I have no idea, I am investing in this project in the hope this investment will benefit us "

" I'm sorry. I need a delivery date. "

" Ok. Next month "

" Ok. Get me a quote in writing so I can scan it to Bangalore to get it approved in SAP"

"I can't get a quote, it's an <expletive> voluntary donation! "

In some ways I wish there was a line item on the Ubuntu site called say "Ubuntu Karma" for £10 that I could get a quote for and order.

"I'd like to buy 30 Ubuntu Karma for the new servers please."

"How much is it? "

" £10 a license "

" Can you get a quote from their website and put it into SAP? "

" Yes" (click)

"No problem, you will have your approval in 5 business days. "

>> They anonymise all input data so that amazon etc can't tell who it
>is
>> from and do not store it.
>
>That helps.

Agreed. All I really want is the philosophy of consent to be maintained. By all means make these things default to on but give us a clear and simple way of turning them off of they offend against corporate information security policies or user sensibilities.

Cheers,
Paul.

--
Sent from Kaiten Mail on Android. Please excuse my brevity.