Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu spy program
On 13/12/12 10:22, Alan Pope wrote:

> I don't see the shopping lens going away in 13.04, I don't see it
> being made opt-in and I don't see us ripping it out of 12.10. I find
> it incredibly disappointing but unsurprising that someone like RMS
> takes to the airwaves to tell people to shun us. He's entitled to his
> opinion though, as are you and I.

Hi Alan,

As usual you make a number of valid points and I think that, at the end
of the day, it does come down to making an informed choice. Don't like
Ubuntu? Look elsewhere, or, fork it and fix what you don't like.
Anything else does seem like looking a gift horse in the mouth to the
point where you can see daylight!

I believe that Mark Shuttleworth has changed users' experience of Linux
massively, and that the good broadly outweighs the bad in this regard.

That said I am also grateful that distros like Debian are out there and
that there are folks who, despite being a little bit extreme and vocal
(okay, a lot!), remain vigilant in protecting Linux from corporate
takeover, be it gradual and benign or aggressive and malignant.

The way I have overcome my dislike of Unity (after months of trying to
get my head around it) is to switch to Lubuntu; I've got Ubuntu with an
interface that, for the first time in a long time, I actually enjoy
using rather than tolerate and rant at!

Sean