Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance
On Monday 26 Nov 2012, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> One of my website clients has just received the email which is pasted
> below. I'm pretty sure that it's a scam -- they're just trying to scare
> people into using their 'intercrm' product.

It's probably bullying if not an outright scam.

> On the other hand, the Equality Act 2010 does apparently include rules
> about websites (see e.g.
> http://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/What-you-need-to-know-about-the-Equal
> ity-Act-2010 )
>
> Does anyone know of a compliance-checker for websites? Or just a simple
> list of rules? (The websightassist.org site mentioned in the email
> below advertises a checker, but given their aggressive marketing, I'm
> reluctant to try it in case they then start targeting me with similar
> emails.)

The legislation is a bit vague and is largely ignored by most web sites. The
W3C have a good set of guidelines to start from and some companies do build
for accessibility as it often improves usability and search engine
optimisation as a by-product of the design.

I'm a bit off the topic these-days but you could start with a page on my web
site and try some of the links there:
    http://www.iredale.net/p/by-topic/web/web-accessability/

For checkers there are:
    http://www.cynthiasays.com/
    http://achecker.ca/checker/

I've used Cynthia in the past but they are only so good accessibility takes a
person to check not everything can be automated.
--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    -- anon