Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Equality Act 2010 compliance
On Monday 26 November 2012 16:04:25 Chris Dennis wrote:
> One of my website clients has just received the email which is pasted
> below.  I'm pretty sure that it's a scam -- they're just trying to scare
> people into using their 'intercrm' product.
>
> On the other hand, the Equality Act 2010 does apparently include rules
> about websites (see e.g.
> http://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/What-you-need-to-know-about-the-Equal
>ity-Act-2010 )
>
> Does anyone know of a compliance-checker for websites?  Or just a simple
> list of rules?

It is true that the Equalities Act 2010 says that your website must be
compliant and accessible to the "differently abled". (Ouch!). It is also
true that very few are.

If someone complains to you and you ignore it, then the person complaining can
indeed take you to court. If this happens, then your only available defence
(under the Disability Act 2000, which the Equalities Act has swallowed, so I
doubt that this has changed), is that the request was not reasonable for you
to do. (E.g very small company is asked for a large braille copy of its
glossy brochure.)

But you have to:
a) receive a complaint
b) do nothing about that complaint
c) be warned that if you continue to refuse (which includes inaction) you will
be taken to court
d) do nothing
e) get taken to court

Frankly, if some one is so desperate to read the website, and you so
determined to keep that person out, you'll know.

I shouldn't worry about it.

A greater worry IMHO is that the site may be losing potential readers. You
don't say what the purpose of the website is, but I can't be the only person
who takes one look at some websites, says well, if they don't want me, then I
don't want them - and surfs away without looking.

If you really feel that you should check the site, there are several partially
sighted people on this list, and quite likely blind people, and at least one
dyslectic. Why not just post a link and ask for comments?

The RNIB publishes all sorts of things explaining what is good/bad for people
with vision problems, and are very helpful. You could ask them for a list
of "rules".

I would say that it is almost certainly a scam! And should be ignored.

Lisi