[Hampshire] 8TB Cloud

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] 8TB Cloud
Hi all

I'm trying to build a PC which has 8TB of storage - to be my media server.
For the moment, I'm deliberately ignoring devices like microservers or
Drobos - mostly on cost and the fact I have several towers with enough space
to take 4*2TB drives. I've not built a PC for ages so I have a few
questions:

1) Is SATA still the bus of choice? According to Novatech, there is now
"Serial attached SCSI". I don't think any of my mobos have this bus, and
indeed it seems the drives sizes here are a lot smaller than I need - but is
there anything pushing this over SATA?

2) Presumably I need a stronger power supply. If there are 4 hdds and 1
DVD drive - what sort of wattage should I be looking at?

3) If, expense notwithstanding for the moment, I did this as 4*2TB external
USB hard drives, I've had trouble sharing these with Ubuntu before now.
For some reason they're mounted under /media under a strange (and seemingly
random) string of characters (which change every time the server is
restarted) such that permanent shortcuts from other devices on the network
wouldn't work and would need to be re-established each time I connect. Has
anyone worked around this?

Any constructive suggestions very welcome.

Cheers

Rob