Re: [Hampshire] 8TB Cloud

Author: Chris Malton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 8TB Cloud
Hi Rob,

On 25/11/12 11:23, Rob Malpass wrote:

> 1) Is SATA still the bus of choice? According to Novatech, there is
> now "Serial attached SCSI". I don't think any of my mobos have this
> bus, and indeed it seems the drives sizes here are a lot smaller than
> I need -- but is there anything pushing this over SATA?

Servers seem to like SAS, but for desktops, I think SATA is still fairly
standard.

> 2) Presumably I need a stronger power supply. If there are 4 hdds
> and 1 DVD drive -- what sort of wattage should I be looking at?

I find http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp pretty good
at getting this right, although I tend to take its answer, and add a
couple of hundred watts for any future stuff.... Based on a quick run I
just did, it suggested ~300W, so I'd say a 500W PSU will be capable.

> 3) If, expense notwithstanding for the moment, I did this as 4*2TB
> external USB hard drives, I've had trouble sharing these with Ubuntu
> before now. For some reason they're mounted under /media under a
> strange (and seemingly random) string of characters (which change
> every time the server is restarted) such that permanent shortcuts from
> other devices on the network wouldn't work and would need to be
> re-established each time I connect. Has anyone worked around this?

This should be possible using /etc/fstab. If you explicitly mount them
there (ideally by UUID), and then you'll have static mount points.

Hope that helps,

Chris