Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On 29 September 2012 17:15, Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 08:20:56AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
>> I am biased towards Debian as you all know and make no apologies for
>> promoting the "Debian Way"

Me also ! :)

>> A large majority of HantsLUG members were Debian users a few years
>> back but for some reason chose to go with the new kid on the
>> block.

Thats sad , understand the newbies running towards the new kid and
even newer kid (mint) , why would old LUG users ditch Debian?
Is it because of the drivers and easy installation especially when
your hardware wouldnt compulsorily not work with "free" drivers .

> And they are wrong and you will keep on about it until they change
> back? :)

I will :D

> Luckily since Debian and other distributions do exist, users still
> have plenty of choice and the situation isn't really comparable to
> Apple. It is in fact very easy to run Linux and all applications
> that are made for Linux without using Unity or Ubuntu.

I especially like Linux Mint Debian edition based on testing of debian
with its bells and whistles , after all the bells and whistles are
wjhat which attracted people in first place imho . I should also thank
linuxmint project for caring about the user and his needs by bringing
out forks of gnome2 and gnome3 aka mate and cinnamon , people who
missed gnome 2 are so good in number that there are fedora packages
for mate :D

For my main desktop I always use debian but I carry the LMDE USB key
so that I can pop in and do my tasks without installing a single
package .

Regards,
Pavithran

--