Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:22:45 +0100
Alan Pope <alan.pope@???> wrote:

> On 28/09/12 22:27, john lewis wrote:
> > OK, I had no idea such a thing existed, I have never installed any
> > version of *buntu on any system I have owned and never actually seen
> > it running on any computer. My only knowledge of that distro is
> > from the complaints of unhappy users.
> >

> "I know nothing but I'll tell everyone not to use it anyway". Nice
> work.

I wasn't exactly telling people not to use it but there do seem to be
lots of people unhappy with the way canonical have imposed "their way"
on users without giving them an (easy!) option of reverting to the
old way. (OK, that may be an exaggeration and I expect it is possible
to remove unity and run other desktops)

Apple have always adopted the attitude that their way of doing things
is the only way and make it very difficult if not impossible to
reconfigure the look of their OS. Is that now the route Canonical
are going to follow?

I am biased towards Debian as you all know and make no apologies for
promoting the "Debian Way" A large majority of HantsLUG members were
Debian users a few years back but for some reason chose to go with the
new kid on the block.

Some like Alan went over lock stock and barrel ;-)

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server