Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity

Author: Tony Wood
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Unity
On 09/11/12 07:27, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> A few more data points:
>
> My parents and uncle both find it confusing still after using it for a year. The invisible menus are the biggest issue for them.
>
> My wife who is a programmer (so a little more tech savvy ;) dislikes it and finds the window grouping to be annoying/frustrating and the tray indicators to be buggy - especially with LibreOffice.
>
> I don't find it confusing but I prefer GNOME 2 considerably and dislike the left hand tray (on widescreen you have to move your mouse further too!). I also find it's considerably slows me down, and the extra space produced doesn't seem necessary on my 2560x1440 monitor. I now use Mac primarily, despite having been using Linux almost exclusively since 2000 (when I was 14).
>
> I've not heard anyone IRL singing it's praises, unlike GNOME 2.
>
> --
> Sent from my iPhone, so please forgive spelling/brevity.
>
> www.BenjieGillam.com
> Founder: FitFu.com, GymFu.com
>

> Brain Bakery Ltd. and GymFu Ltd have registered address: 7 Duck Island Lane BH24 3AA. Registered in England and Wales, Company Numbers: 5849251 and 7022440 respectively
>
> On 8 Nov 2012, at 22:37, Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:
>
>> It isn't just me.
>>
>> I've been trying to warm to Unity and had pretty much given up.
>>
>> I'd set-up my wife's account in Unity to see how a less computer-savvy person gets on with the interface.
>> She does just mail, web, and very occasional WP, so nothing special.
>>
>> Today she rebelled and declared it 'stupid'.
>>
>> For her also, menus on the screen top-bar were so counter-intuitive that she thought they'd been removed.
>>
>> So now, for the moment at least, we've both reverted to Gnome.
>>
>> Personally I'll likely now switch to an fvwm set-up, which I always preferred, only having changed to Gnome to 'go with the flow'.
>>
>> Sorry Alan, but we both strongly dislike Unity.
>>
>> Gordon.
>>

>> --
>> Please post to: Hampshire@???

In contrast, my wife says she can't see any difference.
She uses Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice and has been busy buying
Christmas presents on-line.

Three computers here are using Ubuntu 12.10.

Granddaughter doing homework uses Jean's laptop or my PC in preference
to her own Sony Vaio (Windows 7) which is 'too slow'.

Unity suits me. My only beef is that sometimes the 'do it' button on
web-pages is off the bottom of the screen because the top bar pushes it
all down: the 'full size' icon can disappear if the re-size icon on the
top bar is deployed. I like the 'Software Centre' and the (newly
re-labelled) 'Ubuntu' key to find stuff on my computer.

Only other distro I've properly tried was Mint12 on my PC and I didn't
get on with that.

(I'm going to try RISC on my Pi when I have some time.)

--

Tony Wood
(from Linux netbook)